Roughly 35% of people don’t get enough sleep, according to the sleep foundation. Are you one of these people? Ideally, we should be getting a minimum of seven hours a night, and if you don’t, you might need to do something about it.
Why not start by switching to a different mattress? But before you start shopping, you might wonder what type of mattress firmness is best for you.
Here’s our guide to whether a firm or soft bed is the right choice for you.
How to Tell If Your Mattress Is Firm or Soft
There are three ways to check the firmness of a mattress. These are the rating (or score), the material, and the type of top layer on the bed.
Many manufacturers supply a score from one to ten for their mattress firmness.
The higher the number, the more firm the mattress. That provides a valuable comparison tool for customers when searching for the perfect comfort. Compare these mattresses on the drsnooze.com website for more information.
The material in mattresses includes latex, open coil, pocket sprung coil, and memory foam.
Latex and open coil mattresses tend to feature at the firmer end of the scale. The pocket sprung, and memory foam mattresses are often at the softer end of the scale.
Some modern mattresses have a top layer of material over the core mattress. For example, that could have different materials, memory foam over an open sprung mattress.
That top layer may add extra comfort to the mattress, and in the case of foam on top of a firm bed, it could allow the bed to feel slightly softer than it otherwise would.
Benefits of a Firm Mattress
Is a firm mattress suitable for you? Here are some of the benefits:
- A firm mattress will give a heavier body more support (particularly around the spine) during the night and prevent aches and pains
- Bed comfort is often a matter of taste, and some people naturally prefer a harder surface
- Firm beds are helpful if you share with a partner as they will prevent you from rolling into each other during the night
- Do you sleep on your stomach? Many stomach sleepers find a firm mattress better for their sleeping position
Perhaps you aren’t sure about your personal preferences. In that case, it’s worth visiting a local store and trying different mattresses to get a feel for the comfort and support and how that matches your needs.
Benefits of a Soft Mattress
Some people love a soft mattress. Here is why a soft bed might be your preferred choice:
- It provides proper body alignment if you have a lighter body and don’t need extra firm support
- The plush layer could help soothe you into a deep sleep
- Soft mattresses are great for side sleepers as they’ll help with aligning your shoulders and won’t feel too uncomfortable on your hip bone
- Soft mattresses are a fantastic choice for children and teenagers
If you think a soft mattress is right for you, consider your sleeping habits. Will your sleeping position suit a deep, plush bed?
Firm or Soft Bed?
So do you love the support from a firm bed? Or do you prefer the comfort of a soft bed? Now you know how to compare firm vs. soft mattresses, it’s time to start shopping.
Do you have more things to buy for your home? Head to our shopping recommendations in our house and garden section.
Leave a Reply