The 125th Australian Football League season started the 18th of March and most fans are already enjoying the excitement of the competition.
For Aussies, this season is not just about the game and players but more about the thrill and the excitement tipping competitions bring to a small group of friends and families .
WHAT ARE FOOTY TIPPING COMPETITIONS?
AFL tipping competitions are common among friends and Families in Australia. They are all about choosing the winner for a week’s or season’s game.
The entrant who picks the winning team correctly for the highest number of times wins. The winner is chosen every week and in case of a tie, the entrant whose margin prediction is the lowest is considered the winner.
SOME COMMON TERMS USED IN FOOTY TIPPING
- Pick or Tip: The team a participant chooses for a particular game.
- Margin: A guess made by the participant on the number of points expected to be scored by his/her pick in a particular game. A margin is a whole number and a range. It is used as a tie-breaker when two or more entrants have correct picks.
- Weekly Margin: The difference between the margin picked by an entrant and the actual margin. For instance, an entrant favours Team A and predicts it to win by 6 points, and if Team A wins by 4 points, then the weekly margin for the entrant is 2 points (6-2=4).
- Cumulative Margin: The total of weekly margins for an entrant. The lower the cumulative margin, the higher will be the rank of the entrant.
- Fixture: The schedule of games containing information about the teams playing. There are two types of fixtures, ‘weekly fixture’ and ‘seasons fixture’. The fixture is decided by dividing the 18 teams of the AFL into three groups. The groups involved are the top six, middle six and bottom six of the previous year’s ladder. According to the
- Round Number: The number of weeks in which a game is held.
- Home Teams: Each of the 18 teams in AFL has a home ground. For instance, teams like Collingwood, Hawthorne, Melbourne and Richmond have Melbourne Cricket Ground as home grounds.
- Away Teams: When the teams are playing away from their home ground, they are called away teams.
HOW TO ENTER A FOOTY TIPPING COMPETITION?
There are lots of websites offering Free AFL tipping Competitions. We encourage you to do your research and pick a competition offered by a well known website.
The process to entero a competition is quite is normally as simple as
- Creating an account and choosing a nickname.
- Selecting a pick. This is the most important step and should be done after a thorough analysis of previous matches.
WHAT ARE THE BASIC RULES CONCERNING FOOTY TIPPING?
- The tips or picks can be selected or edited anytime before the game begins.
- The tips cannot be changed after the commencement of the game.
- If an entrant doesn’t choose his pick for a given match, he will be automatically given the away team, and the margin will be set at 0.
Do you have any questions about this article? Click here to contact us today.
Leave a Reply